Hey man, don’t worry about it. I feel the same way- just about EVERYONE on Capitol Hill, Republican AND Democrat. By the way, those two words mean nothing up there: you could go in with the best, most hopeful ideas in the world, but when you get there, you’re just a greedy money-sucker who doesn’t care about his or her constituents. That’s the problem: it’s not that the people don’t have a voice, it’s that their voice is incompetent! The government shutdown might as well have been called “the great hissy fit of 2013.” And the fact that Congress got PAID during it for NOT working, while my aunt and uncle employed by the Navy and working through it didn’t is an absolute disgrace.
Listen, I’ve met some of your “fake conservatives;” the racists, the fundamentalists, the sexists (the last of which Megyn Kelly, by FAR the best commentator on Fox News, BRUTALLY took down two such sexists in one of her segments) and other people like that. I’ve met people like that, and I’m embarrassed that I share the “wing” with them. As I said, I’m more moderate- extremism on EITHER side is terrible. On the extreme left, you have George Orwell’s 1984 (aka the Soviet Union). On the extreme right, you have Nazi Germany. Notice something there? Both sides lead to the EXACT SAME THING when taken far enough.
Personally, I have no problem with the Hobby Lobby ruling because, and again Megyn Kelly pointed this out brilliantly, it does NOT ban birth control, just four specific types of birth control that government studies show may destroy an embryo after fertilization.
Again, I haven’t heard of Thomas Pikkety, nor have I read his book, but from what you said about him I can say this: here in Philadelphia, we’ve had high city wage taxes (income taxes) and high business privilege taxes for the longest time. Only a few companies have been brave enough to venture here to do business. Popular consensus among MANY older Philadelphians, the ones who have lived through periods of economic growth and decline, is that if we were to lower those two taxes, our city would “boom” overnight. And, there seems to be proof of that too in the “Keystone Opportunity Zones” which are certain areas where taxes are much lower in exchange for the business doing something for the city (certain amount of jobs by set date, etc.)
How do I word this? I’m a conservationist, not a preservationist. I believe that if we cut down a whole tract of forest, it’s fine- if we replant the damn trees when we’re done. I do believe very strongly in the National Park system, though- so no “limited mining” bullshit in Yellowstone or Denali. Maybe this comes from my grandfather: he was a real outdoorsman, and a hunter, too. He was, to put it lightly, absolutely DISGUSTED with what companies are doing in the Marcellus Shale upstate. I’m not against hydraulic frakking because it’s bad for the environment; I’m against it because it DESTROYS the environment, and ruins the integrity of the little towns that were up there before. And the day they come up with “clean coal,” I’ll point them right to Centralia, PA- there’s enough coal under there to burn for 2,000 years.
Still a bit unclear as to the export-import bank, but if it means what I think it means- outsourcing- then I’m very much against it. Outsourcing is both bad for the American economy and puts the workers overseas in absolutely horrible conditions. My solution to that? Boycott Nike and the other companies that do outsource, and promote the ones that don’t (like New Balance.)
Of course I’m not going to try and force my beliefs on you! That’s one of the benefits of having a society like ours; everyone gets to put their two cents in. I’m not going to squash your beliefs just because I don’t agree with them. I prefer to let the RESULTS guide us along, you know? If everything O’Reilly said was proven wrong, I wouldn’t agree with him. On the other hand, if everything Huckabee said was tried and true, I’d follow his every word, with caution, obviously. There’s always those people who are right 99% of the time, and complete idiots the other 1%.